The reverse sear chicken breast is a smoking and grilling technique that ensures that the meat remains tender and juicy thanks to the low and slow cooking and that the skin and outside of the meat is finished with a beautiful char at the end of the cooking.
Chicken breast is among the top preferred chicken cuts and offers an unmatched, tender, and satisfying flavor when prepared correctly.
One of the best ways to make delicious chicken breast is by using the reverse sear chicken breast technique.
The idea behind this cooking method is to preserve the meat tender and juicy and yet have a seared charred finish at the end. This is done by ensuring that the meat is cooked slowly and at a low temperature internally and then finished with a quick and hot sear of the outside at the end.
Here is everything you need to know about the reverse sear cooking method.
It is suitable for chicken breasts and all other types of red meat, including beef steak, tri-tip, and others.
It includes cooking the inside of the meat to perfection using the low and slow grilling or smoking method and then searing it at a high heat at the end for achieving the beautiful BBQ char finish.
Here is how to prepare reverse sear chicken breast.
Preparing the chicken breast
You should dry the chicken breasts and apply some olive oil, water, or another liquid of your choice on them. This will help stick the rub you will be sprinkling on top of the meat.
You can buy a good quality ready-made chicken dry rub or prepare one yourself.
Some of the best ingredients for a homemade chicken breast rub are paprika, thyme, chili powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
Mix them all together and sprinkle them all over the chicken breasts.
The reverse sear chicken breast recipe
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 70 minutes
- A grill or smoker
- Charcoal, pellets, smoke wood, or other fuel you will be using
- Aluminum foil
- A meat thermometer
- Grill tongs
Boneless and skinless chicken breasts – 4 pcs (for 4 servings)
A ready-made dry rub or a mix of the following:
- Paprika – 2 tablespoons
- Dried thyme – 1 tablespoon
- Chili powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cayenne pepper – 2 tablespoons
- Onion powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic powder – 1 tablespoon
- Ground black pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Kosher or table salt – 1 tablespoon
Instructions for making BBQ reverse sear chicken breast
- Debone and remove the skin of the chicken breasts
- Pat them with paper towels to remove as much moisture from them
- Mix your dry rub or use a ready one
- Lay the chicken breasts on a counter, dish, or cutting board and sprinkle them liberally on both sides. You can add some liquid as an adhesive
- Place the chicken in an airtight container or in a Ziploc bag and let it sit for an hour in the refrigerator
- In the meantime, set up the smoker or grill to a 2-zone cooking configuration
- The temperature you should be aiming for is 225 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill or in the smoker and cook them on the lower heat zone for low and slow indirect cooking
- When the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reaches 150 degrees Fahrenheit, remove them from the grill or smoker and cover them with foil
- Increase the heat or place the breasts on the high direct heat zone and sear each side for one minute
- When the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, you should remove the breasts from the grill or smoker and let them rest for about 10 minutes covered with aluminum foil
- Serve the breasts with the sauce, sides, and other garnish you prefer.