You don’t need to live in a mansion with a huge backyard to enjoy the pleasure of cooking and eating grilled food. In fact, there are some top-quality small gas grills that can easily replace full-sized ones.
[amazon box=”B077K1MK8N,B01HID4Y7Q,B004H4WW9W” grid=”3″]
Here are the best small gas grills for 2023, as well as some tips which can help you choose the most suitable compact gas grill for your needs.
The Weber Spirit II E-210 is a bestselling and top-rated compact gas grill that can fit on your small balcony or patio.
The grill is 44.5 (H) x 48 (W) x 26 (D) inches with the lid closed and 57 (H) x 48 (W) x 27 (D) inches when the lid is open. It has a small footprint, and the left side table can be folded for even more space-saving, and its open-cart design allows for storing accessories, food, and condiments under the cooking area so that you can place the grill in a very small outdoor spot.
The small-sized gas grill has an ample cooking space of 450 square inches in total. This includes the 360 square inches for the primary cooking area and the 90 square inch warming rack.
It has two stainless steel burners with a total output of 26,500 BTUs per hour.
- It has a very small footprint
- You can fold the left side and save some space
- The open cart design allows for space-saving and convenient storage
- The total cooking space is 450 square inches which is a lot for a compact grill
- The burners are made of stainless steel and have an output of 26,500 BTUs
- It has easy to clean, non-stick porcelain enameled cast iron grates which will retain the heat and spread it evenly for perfectly cooked food
- The lid is porcelain-enameled for durability and heat retention and has a built-in temperature gauge to monitor the temperature without opening it
- It features Weber’s GS4 Grilling system, which consists of Infinity Ignition, improved burners, Flavorizer bars, and a Grease Management System
- The Flavorizer bars help deflect the fat and juices into the drip pan and thus reduce the risk of flare-ups while at the same time enhancing the taste of the meat and food
- The burner tubes allow for consistent gas flow throughout the cooking process and surface
- The side tables have 6 hooks where you can hang your grilling tools, towels, and more
- There is a fuel gauge to keep an eye on the fuel level
- The gas tank can also be mounted on the outside of the grill for easy access and replacement
- The drip tray and pan are easy to remove and clean
- It is backed by Weber’s 100% 10-year warranty
- There is no side burner
- A little high priced for a 2-burner gas grill
The runner-up has a small footprint and a total cooking area of 400 square inches. The Char-Broil Performance 2-burner gas grill has a cabinet-style design which means that you can store the propane tank inside and thus saves even more space.
Both of the side tables are foldable for further space-saving.
The size of this gas grill is 24.5 x 42.9 x 44 inches, and it weighs 82.5 lbs.
It is a smaller and less expensive alternative to our top choice and is still an excellent affordable and compact gas grill for people with limited outdoor space.
- 2 stainless steel top ported burners with a BTU output of 24,000
- The main cooking area is 300 square inches, and there is a swing-away warming rack which adds another 100 square inches to the cooking space
- The cooking grates are made of durable and easy to clean porcelain-coated cast iron
- The gas grill has a very small footprint
- The metal side tables can be folded if you want to save more space
- The cabinet design allows for storing a 20 lbs. propane tank directly under the grill
- The grill lid, handle and control panel are made of durable stainless steel, and there is a built-in thermometer on the lid
- It has casters, two of which are lockable for easy portability
- The electronic ignition allows for lighting up the burners with a single press of a button
- The grease pan is porcelain coated and is easy to remove and clean
- It is one of the easiest gas grills to assemble
- The propane tank takes up most of the storage space in the cabinet
Top budget option
This cool-looking compact gas grill by Cuisinart is offered at a very affordable price, which is why it is our top budget-friendly pick.
Thanks to its clever design, you can fold this small grill and carry it by the handle like a suitcase.
The legs can be extended and folded for portability and so that you can use the unit as a stand-up grill or as a tabletop grill.
The size of this small gas grill is 28 x 17.5 inches when it is folded. When the legs are extended, their height is 32.5 inches.
The Petit Gourmet gas grill by Cuisinart weighs only 17 lbs. and is the perfect small gas grill for small spaces, camping, or other outdoor adventures.
- It is inexpensive
- It has a very cool-looking design and comes in different color options
- It is very small and lightweight (only 17 lbs.) and is among the most portable gas grills on the market
- It folds down, has a handle and lid lock, and can be carried like a briefcase
- Its legs are foldable, and you can use the grill on a table or as a freestanding grill
- The height of the telescoping legs can be adjusted to up to 32.5 inches for comfortable grilling
- The cooking grate is porcelain-enameled and provides a cooking surface of 160 square inches
- The single burner has an output of 5,500 BTUs
- It is easy to switch on because of the twist to start the ignition
- It has a gas regulator
- The grease tray is easy to clean after use
- The grill is backed by a 3-year limited warranty
- It only has one burner, so it won’t be suitable if you want to use the two-zone cooking method
- It has a very small cooking space
Best compact grill
The Weber Q1000 is a compact and portable go that is perfect for grill-lovers who want to take their gas grill everywhere they go.
It is 14.5 (H) x 27 (W) x 16.5 (D) inches in size when the lid is closed and has a 189 square inch cooking area which is sufficient for cooking up to 6 patties at a time.
This compact gas grill is very sturdily built out of top quality materials, and yet weighs 27.5 lbs. and will easily fit in the trunk of your car, and is very easy to store away when not in use.
- It is small and lightweight – an excellent choice for camping and for on-the-go grilling anywhere
- The single stainless steel burner produces 8,500 BTUs per hour
- The cooking grates are made of porcelain-enameled cast iron
- The split grates allow for versatile cooking options if you have compatible griddle plates
- The body and lid of the gas grill is made of durable and yet lightweight cast aluminum and has a glass-reinforced nylon frame
- It has easy to start push-button ignition as well as infinite control burner valve settings
- It works with disposable 14.1 or 16.4-oz propane cartridges or can be connected to a standard 20lbs. tank, but you will need to buy an adaptor and hose separately
- It has ergonomic side handles and a large grip handle
- The grease pan is easy to remove and clean
- It takes about 15 minutes to preheat to a higher temperature
- You will need to buy any additional accessories such as a griddle plate, a portable tray, or a cover separately
Favorite for camping
This portable has grill by Cuisinart weighs only 10 lbs. which makes it one of the lightest and most portable of all gas grills on this list.
Its size is 19 x 11.5 x 10 inches, and it has a cooking space of 146 square inches.
The Grillster requires zero assembly, so all you need is a 1lb. propane tank, and you can light it up immediately right out of the box.
- It weighs a mere 10 lbs. making it the lightest of all gas grills on this list
- It is very compact and portable and is an excellent choice for camping, traveling, or for home use on small balconies and patios
- The grill has push-button ignition and preheats in just 10 minutes
- The cooking grate is made of porcelain-enameled steel and is dishwasher safe
- The lid can be folded back for easy access to the entire cooking area
- The single burner produces 8,000 BTUs
- The lid can be latched down, and the legs collapse for even easier transport and storage
- There is a gas regulator
- The drip tray is very easy to clean
- No assembly is required
- It is backed by a 3-year warranty
- The vents on the back of the unit are very sharp, so you should handle the grill with care when unpacking it or when moving it
Best small infrared gas grill
If you want a gas grill with an infrared function but have limited space, the Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared gas grill could be the most suitable option for you.
It is 54.1 x 23.4 x 45.5 inches in size, weighs 98 lbs., and has a large 600 square inch total cooking area.
This grill is an excellent choice if you want to make restaurant-quality steaks but have limited outdoor space.
- It has 3 stainless steel burners with an output of 24,000 BTUs and an added side burner that produces 10,000 BTUs
- The 450 square inches sizeable primary cooking area features TRU-Infrared technology for even cooking with no flare-ups and no hot or cold spots
- The burners are turned on with push-to-start electronic ignition
- There is an added swing-away warming rack which is 150 square inches in size
- The grill has a sleek and durable stainless steel finish and a good-looking design
- There is a lot of storage space under the grill and on the side tables
- The durable porcelain-coated grates are non-stick
- The side burner can be covered with a lid, and this space can be used as a side table for food prep and storage
- There is a temperature gauge mounted on the lid
- The holes on the grates may cause the accumulation of grease, which makes cleanup more difficult
- Heavier and larger than many of the other small gas grills on our list
The rest of the best small gas grills
The Char-Griller Grillin’ Pro is a reasonably priced and quite powerful small gas grill with durable steel construction.
Its size is 48 x 28 x 48 inches, and it weighs 88 lbs. and it boasts a primary cooking surface of 438 square inches and an additional warming rack which is 192 square inches.
It has 3 primary burners and a side burner to prepare both the main dish and the sides simultaneously.
- It provides a total cooking area of 630 square inches
- The 3 main stainless steel tube burners produce up to 40,800 BTUs, and the side burner adds another 12,000 BTUs
- The body of the grill is made of solid steel, which is powder-coated for added durability
- The grates are made of porcelain-coated cast iron
- The handle of the lid is Stay Cool for safe use
- The grill has dual stacks for even and consistent heating
- There is a stainless steel thermometer built into the lid
- Each burner has an electronic igniter probe
- It is very reasonably priced
- The assembly instructions are not very clear
The Weber Spirit E-210 is the first generation model of our top pick – the Weber Spirit II E-210.
It is an excellent choice for people with small balconies and patios who want to enjoy grilling food on a high-quality gas grill.
The size of this grill is 45.5 (H) x 50 (W) x 32 (D) inches with the lid closed, and it weighs 113.8 lbs.
It has cabinet storage, and both side tables fold down for additional space-saving.
- A total cooking area of 450 square inches (the primary is 360 and the warming rack is 90 square inches)
- 2 stainless steel burners with a heat output of 26,500 BTU
- The lid and the cook box are porcelain enameled for added durability
- It has heavy-duty caster wheels which are easy to move on any terrain
- Cast iron cooking grates which are porcelain-enameled
- There is a fuel gauge
- Both stainless steel side tables can be folded in order to save space
- There are 6 hooks on the sides for storing your tools and other items
- It has an easy to clean grease management system
- There are porcelain-enameled Flavorizer bars to deflect the grease and prevent any flare-ups while adding smokiness and more flavor to the food
- The burners are started with electronic crossover ignition systems and have infinite valve controls
- There is a grill cabinet for added storage and for enclosing and for easy access to the gas tank
- Some users find that the assembly can be tricky
How to choose the right small gas grill
Where are you planning on situating the grill? Do you have nearby shelves and storage areas for your cooking tools or utensils, as well as for the fuel?
These are some questions you need to ask yourself before choosing the most suitable gas grill. Many grills on our list have sufficient storage space so that they can be whole cooking stations.
Number of people you will cook for
How many people will you be cooking for? Calculate the cooking area of the grill you need by counting the servings and then adding at least ½ of an inch in between each burger or other food item.
With small grills, usually, the cooking surface is limited, but some models from our list are suitable for cooking for larger families and for more guests as they have larger cooking surfaces and more burners.
For gas grills, you have the choice of picking between propane and natural gas. Propane is offered in tanks and bottles, and natural gas (methane) is fed through pipelines.
If you already use gas at home and have a nearby outlet, then you may want to choose a natural gas grill. If you are planning on buying a propane gas grill, make sure you research whether there are regulations for the storage of gas tanks in your building or area.
How much free space do you have?
Measure the outdoor space you have available for the grill. Don’t forget to calculate the size of the propane gas tank in case it is not stored under the grill itself. Also, leave yourself ample space to be able to use the grill comfortably and safely.
Do you want a small-sized grill that will remain in one place outdoors, or do you need one which you can take with you when you go camping, tailgating, or elsewhere? Some of the gas grills on our list are much more portable than the cart and cabinet-style ones.
Check the regulations about using a grill on your balcony or near the other buildings around your home before proceeding to buy a gas grill. Also, it is a good idea to check whether there are any specific rules for the storage of propane gas tanks.
Whichever small gas grill you choose, remember to use it safely, especially if you will be using it on your patio or balcony. It is a good idea to have a fire extinguisher nearby as well.
Hopefully, we have helped you select the perfect small gas grill for your needs, so we wish you happy and safe grilling!