Finding an offset smoker that meets both your budget and quality expectations can be an uphill task. The cheap ones are likely to be of poor quality while the ones with desirable features may be too expensive. Luckily, there are offset smokers that are of impressive quality and come at a good bargain. You only need to be thorough in your research to find them.
Offset smokers come in all sizes and materials. The big-sized ones cost more than the smaller ones depending on their quality and material used. These smokers are bulky and hard to transport to and from the store after every use. That is why a lot of emphasis is laid on purchasing the most durable ones. Look out for material that is capable of handling all the harsh elements of weather (thus eliminating the need to move the smoker)
The offset smoker compilation in this article is centered on equipping you with the product description, reviews, cons, and pros. Hopefully, this information will guide you through choosing the most suitable offset smoker for you. Let’s get right into it.
Are you looking for a large, heavy-duty offset smoker? Oklahoma Joe’s Highland is the one for you. It has a cooking surface designed to occupy about 900 square inches. The firebox and main chambers are 281 and 269 sq. inches respectively.
This offset smoker has a classic fuel basket made of stainless steel. It is located in the firebox chamber. To ease the removal of ash, a clean-out door is attached to it.
The cooking grates are constructed using high-quality steel that is a heavy gauge. They are also coated with porcelain. This ensures prolonged usage and easy cleaning.
Controlling smoke and heat on this smoker is easy, owing to the multiple dampers on it. 4 baffles have also been placed on it. They direct the smoke and heat to the main chambers in four exits. The even distribution of smoke elevates the smoky flavors and cooks the meat evenly
This smoker has a perfect combination of affordable, quality, and desirable features. Other standard specs include handles and an inbuilt thermometer gauge. It also has wheels on its legs which roll smoothly when pushed around.
It has an optional reverse flow system that you can switch to whenever you like.
- Distribution of heat – Inside the smoker, heat is distributed evenly to every part. This is made possible by the 4 baffles attached to it. The cooking chamber’s temperature range is between 5° F and 15° F.
- Money value – The smoker’s price matches its qualities. You get great features such as high-gauge stainless steel material, for a price that doesn’t break the bank.
- Practical model and good looks – Oklahoma Joe’s Highland smoker is crafted in a traditional model and look. It is fitted with a large mesh shelf below the smoker box, which can be used for utensils and wood storage. Its wheels resemble those of a wagon, big enough to move the smoker with ease.
- The temperature distribution might disappoint – Food placed near the firebox cooks faster than the one placed further away from it.
- Leaks – The smokers have received several reviews about leaking. Fortunately, the leaks can easily and cheaply be sealed using a temp gasket kit for high temperatures, from Lavalock.
If you are seeking to become a backyard pitmaster, this is the offset smoker to look out for.
It is precisely handcrafted. One of its most outstanding features is a 2nd level shelf that’s removable by sliding it out. Other features include a plate that helps manage heat and a lockable door over the cooking area.
The smoker’s dampers come in two. This makes it easy to control smoke and heat. A perfect balance of the two enhances the taste and flavors of your food.
Using a Yoder Wichita Loaded offset smoker enables you to cook large meals at the same time, thanks to its cooking surface which measures 1600 inches squared.
Another likable feature in the smoker is large cooking grates in its chambers. The dimensions of the first grate are 14.5 inches by 36.5 inches. The second one measures 19.75 inches by 19 inches.
It has two wheels attached to the front legs. They are designed to resemble those of a wagon. These wheels come in handy when the smoker, whose weight is 591lbs, needs to be moved from one spot to another.
- It offers an even distribution of temperature.
- The extra racks can be slid out to create room for large meals to be cooked.
- It gives you an option to use the charcoal grate for charcoal-powered cooking. The instant propane igniter makes it easy to light the wood or charcoal used.
- The welding technology used on the smoker’s ¼ steel is of great quality and top-notch. This makes it rust-free and prevents corrosion.
- The smoke flow can easily get clogged, leading to a backflow of smoke in the cooking area.
The Meadow Creek SQ 36 offset smoker can turn you into an overnight barbecue master with its perfectly crafted features.
Its right-side firebox enhances the measured control of temperature in the smoker. The chimney crafted on its left side enables heat and smoke to flow from the cooking area.
To keep your sauces and side dishes warm, place them on the smoker’s flat top. Smoke distribution is aided by the duct system that has holes on it. This system is made using smart technology.
The material used to make this smoker is heavy-duty steel of 13 gauge. This leads to prolonged life and resistance to damaging elements such as rust and corrosion.
It is insulated all around to prevent the escape of heat during cooking. This measure also helps distribute the heat consistently and keeps it steady.
- The smoker can be customized and made with special features.
- It comes in many models and different upgrades.
- It has a large cooking space, capable of smoking meat that can serve about 70 people.
- The standard firebox can’t withstand a high amount of heat. It requires regular repainting.
The Texas-style of making barbecue requires a charcoal grill that has a traditional touch. Char-Griller Smokin Pro provides such traditional features.
It has a built-in gauge for taking temperature. The drawers that hold charcoal inside the smoker are easy to remove and return. This eases the removal of ashes as well as the addition of charcoal.
The rack at the bottom can be used to hold sauces, utensils, and other extras. Wagon wheels are fitted to the front legs to ease transportation and movement.
It is constructed using steel that is heavy-duty and its grates made of cast iron that doesn’t stick. A powder coating is added to the steel, used in the construction, to help prevent corrosion, rust and boost its durability.
A total cooking space of 830 inches squared makes it possible to prepare enough food for large gatherings. Space is split into two: 250 square inches of space at the firebox on the side and 580 square inches of grate’s space.
The smoker weighs 146lbs and its grills measure 62 by 29 by 50 inches. You are required to assemble it after purchase.
- Heat levels in the charcoal grill can be adjusted by removing or adding some coals from the charcoal tray.
- It is affordable.
- The cooking space is large.
- It can be modified and upgraded.
- The attached thermometer gauge can be inaccurate. A bbq thermometer needs to be used instead.
- It may leak unless modified.
- The paint is likely to peel due to the high temperatures. It requires repainting from time to time.
Related article: The best grill and smoker combo in 2021
It is made in a vertical cabinet-design, and weighs 57 pounds with dimensions of 20.2″ by 34.52″ by 47.03″.
The smoker runs on charcoal. The smoke produced is highly improved and efficient, thanks to the smoker’s vertical design that lends itself to the heat rising naturally.
It contains six grates that can be adjusted to accommodate foods of different sizes. For slow cooking, the smoker’s offset design is a perfect feature. It minimizes the heat reaching the food and directs the excess away from it.
The cooking area measures a total of 1176 inches squared. Each of the six grates is capable of holding meals of up to 25 pounds.
A sliding pan has been put in place to hold the charcoal and the ashes. The pan is big enough to accommodate a large amount of ash during long cooking hours. Temperature is legible through the inbuilt temp gauge.
The chamber where charcoal or briquettes are stacked is made of steel. It is also made in a design that keeps the lump charcoal or briquettes held closely together for efficiency.
- It has 6 grates that can be used at the same time.
- Compact design for efficiency.
- Large cooking space.
- Easy charcoal and ash management.
- Can cook for long hours due to the even heat distribution techniques infused in its design.
- The thin layer of steel can cause leaking.
- It has no wheels, making it hard to move to different spots.
Other Mention Worthy Offset Smokers…
- Broil King Smoke XL 32-Inch Offset – If you are looking for a pocket-friendly offset smoker, this is it. With a 955 inches squared cooking space, you get a large area for smoking large volumes of food. The 13 gauges of steel used in its manufacturing make it durable and long-lasting. It is a quality model that offers you value for your money.
- Pit Barrel Cooker– Despite it not being an actual offset smoker, we fused it to the list to give you a glimpse of a cool-looking barrel smoker as an affordable alternative. Numerous reviews about it can tell you all you need to know.
Related content: The best charcoal smokers in 2021
Factors to Consider When Buying an Offset Smoker
Checking the price of different offset smokers before purchasing them helps you choose the one that suits both your budget and desired specs.
Some smokers are highly-priced but with equally great features. Others are cheap to buy but are in unsatisfactory conditions.
Standard smokers may have many likable features. Go for the one that satisfies you both ways. Any smoker between the price of 800 and 1000 dollars is listed as a good bargain by barbecue experts.
Due to its hefty weight, an offset smoker is better off fitted with wheels. This eases its transportation around the property when you want to change its position and location.
Most offset smokers are naturally large-sized. However, the actual size varies from one to another. If you want to smoke a lot of food on it, ensure to go for one that accommodates such volumes.
Insulation and Construction Qualities
The thickness and gauge of the metal used in the construction of an offset smoker should be put into consideration before purchasing it.
Vents, doors of the food chambers, and the availability of other features such as the temperature gauge and dampers play a major role. They should be scrutinized.
The thickness of the steel used to construct a high-quality smoker should not be less than ¼ inch. Be sure to also check the smoke, oxygen, and heat control measures put in place before buying it.
The Reverse Flow System
In a regular flow system, smoke and heat pass through the meat from the firebox. This happens before the smoke and some heat exit through the vent or chimney.
Offset smokers with a reverse flow system are built to first draw the smoke and heat below the cooking area.
The smoke together with the heat is pulled back up to the cooking chamber over the meat.
This method has been associated with the addition of flavor to smoked food and its tenderness.
Offset smokers are created for large-scale use, hence their big size. When purchasing one, go through the reviews, cons, and pros. Be careful about the prices and make sure that the quality and features match the amount charged.
Pitmasters claim that the type of smoker you use in your barbecuing, grilling, or smoking is liable for the flavor and quality of food produced.