No matter how well built your grill is, it makes sense to keep it protected from the weather elements if you want to keep it beautiful and shiny, functioning properly, making it a wise long-term investment.
Thankfully, there are some excellent grill covers on the market, which are affordable, efficient for protecting the grill from rain, snow, UV rays, dust, dirt, and other elements.
The best grill covers are durable, fit snugly with the help of straps and drawstrings, and are easy to put on and take off the grill.
Read on to find out more about the top-rated grill covers on the market in 2021.
The cover is made of heavy-duty oxford material lined with PVC lining. It is water, UV ray, tear, and wind-resistant, and has side straps for a secure and snug fit.
- It is available in a wide variety of sizes
- The cover will fit the grills made by some of the most popular grill makers
- It is made of heavy-duty 600D polyester lined Oxford
- The cover is waterproof, tear-proof, UV ray resistant, and, thanks to the hook and loop straps is wind resistant as well
- You can secure it to the grill via the nifty Velcro side straps
- It is available in black, tan, or gray colors
- The cover is backed by a lifetime warranty by Grillman
- There are no air vents to let any trapped moisture out
The Classic Accessories Veranda BBQ Grill cover is an elegant choice for those of you who not only want an efficient protective cover but one which will become a beautiful accent in your outdoor space.
- It is available in 9 different sizes from X-Small to 3X large, so there is a cover like this for any grill
- The material used is a woven polyester fabric with a laminated lining and bound seams
- It is durable and water-resistant
- It has matching webbing and looks great
- There are air vents that reduce the risk of condensation and of wind lofting
- It fits most of the popular grill brands, such as Weber, Jenn Air, Char-Broil, Brinkmann, and others
- It has padded handles for added comfort
- The click-close straps will keep the cover on even on the windiest days
- The elastic hem allows for a tight fit and superb protection
- The company offers covers for all types of grills, kettles, smokers, pits, and outdoor furniture, so you can buy matching covers for everything outdoors
- It is backed by a 3-year warranty
- It is not as resistant to the bright sun rays
Top budget pick
You don’t need to break the bank to buy a cover that will protect your precious grill. The Char-Broil Basic Grill Cover is inexpensive and yet will help keep your grill away from the harsh weather elements.
- This is a very affordable grill cover
- It comes in a smaller 2-burner size and a larger 3-4 burner size
- It is made of durable 14 gauge vinyl fabric, which has a Sun Fade Protective Liner for UV protection and fade resistance
- The seams of the cover are sealed to ensure that it is water-resistant
- It has long side straps and a drawstring on the bottom, so it can be adjusted to fit grills of different sizes and shapes
- The cover is compatible with most popular grills, including Char-Broil, Char-Griller, Kitchenaid, Nexgrill, Broil King or Weber, and more
- It is not as durable as some of the more expensive grill covers
The rest of our picks
- It has one of the best ratings on Amazon
- It is offered at a reasonable price
- The cover is made of fade-resistant fabric with a durable and water repellent vinyl coating
- It is also tear-resistant, will not crack in the cold, and UV resistant so that it can be used all-year-round
- There are convenient handles on the side for easy fitting on and pulling off
- There are wide straps to secure the cover and keep it on even in strong wind
- It has mesh vents on each side to protect the grill from condensation and for further protection from high winds
- It is compatible with all grills, which are 47 to 53 inches wide
- It only comes in one size and in one (black) color option
This is another top-rated and inexpensive grill cover that has a simple design but is highly protective against UV rays, fading, rips, and is water repellent.
- It is a top-rated cover with a rating of 4.8 out of 5 given by more than 6,000 customers
- It is very reasonably priced
- The cover is available in 30, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, and 75-inch sizes
- It is made of heavy-duty polyester coated 600D oxford fabric
- The material is water repellent and is UV resistant so that it won’t fade over time and will protect the grill’s coating from cracking
- The heavy-duty material is also rip-proof and stain resistant
- It has concealed mesh vents on each side to avoid condensation and moisture on the grill and to withstand high winds
- There are two handles for easy putting on and slipping off
- There are side Velcro straps for a better and tighter fit
- It is backed by a 60-day money-back guarantee and a 12-month warranty
- It is shorter than some of the other covers so that it may leave the wheels or legs of the grill exposed
- It is suitable for all Weber Genesis E and S Series gas grills and other 4-burner gas grills which measure between 53 and 58 inches in width
- It is sold with 3 added useful grilling accessories – a meat thermometer, grill tongs, and a grill brush (valued at $22)
- The cover is made of a resilient polyester fabric that will withstand direct rain, snow, and sun
- The cover can easily be washed with a hose and left to air dry
- It features two large Velcro straps to secure it to the grill
- The grill cover is backed by a 36-month after-sale warranty
- The included meat thermometer is not as reliable as more expensive ones
This heavy-duty cover by Tvird has secure and easy to fasten hook and loop straps. It is easy to put on and pull off and comes with a convenient storage bag.
- It is made of a new generation PVC coated Oxford fabric which is waterproof both on the inside and on the outside
- It is also UV and tear-resistant
- The cover has nifty hook and loop fasteners for a secure fit even in strong winds
- There is also a drawstring for an adjustable fit
- There are handles on each side for easy putting on and taking off
- It comes with a useful storage bag to keep it when it is not in use
- The size of the cover is 30 (L) x 26 (W) x 43 (H) inches, but it is also available in larger sizes for all types of grills and smokers
- The cover is easy to clean with a hose
- It is affordable
- No air vents
Things to consider when choosing a grill cover
Do you really need it?
Before proceeding to buy a grill cover, think about whether you really need it. If you have a portable grill that you store in the shed or garage, or if it is otherwise sheltered from the elements, it may not need to be covered all year round.
Make sure you choose a grill cover that can easily fit over your entire grill, including any side tables, burners, and others. You should also check whether the cover is tall enough so that it covers the wheels or legs of your grill. Many of these covers have straps and drawstrings for an adjustable and more secure fit.
To get the proper size, take the time to measure your grill from the ground to the top and then measure it from one end to the other, including all added storage, gas tanks, and others.
You can contact the manufacturer to get confirmation that the cover will work for the specific grill you have, or ask your grill maker whether there is a proprietary cover or any recommended cover you can purchase.
Choose a cover that is at least 1-2 inches wider than the grill so that it is easier to slip on and pull off.
Since the sole idea of the grill cover is to protect the cooking appliance from rain, snow, sun, dust, dirt, and other outdoor elements, you should pay special attention to the material it is made of.
Choose a material that is suitable for your climate and for the location of your grill.
Vinyl grill covers are waterproof, especially the thicker vinyl, which is at least 12-gauge.
Polyester is durable and weather resistant, and when a PVC layer is added, it can become water-resistant and UV resistant as well.
Canvas is used for high-end grill covers. It is durable, waterproof, and will keep the grill dry and safe in all weather conditions, but it is also the most expensive variant.
As mentioned before, high gauge vinyl, PVC coated polyester, or oxford fabric and canvas will all protect the grill from rain and snow. But while PVC coated polyester or oxford fabric is usually water repellent, thick vinyl and canvas can be completely waterproof. At the same time, you should check whether the cover has vents that will allow any trapped moisture to escape and thus prevent condensation, which can cause rusting and molding.
Even though good quality grills are made from materials and have coatings that offer UV protection and prevent cracking from exposure to the sun, it helps to use a grill cover with reliable UV protection, especially if your grill is exposed to the scorching sun.
Tie-downs / fastenings
Some grill covers have tie downs to fasten the cover securely to the ground or legs and thus prevent it from being blown away by strong winds. You should also check for vents which can also help reduce the risk of high winds lifting the cover.
Most of the grill covers have straps and fasteners or drawstrings that allow for a tighter and more secure fit.
The grill covers on the market come in different colors and designs, so if you are worried about the looks, you can consider buying one of the more sleek-looking covers. Typically, the basic covers are less expensive than the ones with more striking designs.
Buying anything with a warranty is a good idea because you can rest assured that if something goes wrong, you can get your money back, a replacement, or receive useful customer service.
Tips for choosing and using grill covers
Here are some additional tips for choosing and using the cover for your grill:
- Choose a cover that is suitable for your specific climate and for the location where you use and store the grill. If there is a lot of rain – look for a waterproof cover. If there is a lot of sun – opt for one which offers reliable UV protection. If there are strong winds, then choose a cover that can be tied down securely and which has vents.
- Avoid choosing a cover that will fit the grill like a glove because if it is too tight, it may be a hassle to put on and take off. Instead, opt for a cover that is at least 1-2 inches wider than your grill.
- Remember to hose down or wash the cover from time to time. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer for washing it. This will help it last longer, and it will look better.
- For the best results, choose a grill cover that is designed and made for your specific grill. Many popular grill makers sell proprietary grill covers for their products.
- Look for a cover with double stitches, sealed seams, and a better build if you want it to last longer and offer the protection promised.
Choose a cover that is easy to put on and pull off because if you find this procedure tiresome, it is very likely that you will stop using it over time.
- Even though the goal of the cover is to protect the grill from the elements, keep in mind that aesthetics too matter. After all, you will be looking at this cover every time you go outdoors. So choose a design and color which you like.
Last update on 2021-10-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API